Monday, March 1, 2010

It is funny how things seem to happen in some sort of cycle. Just when I finally had been able to start to write about Izzy and my years with her there was a mass discovered in Dusk's chest. That was 4 weeks ago and things looked bleak for him. Of course I was frantic to make him comfortable and let him know how treasured he is. During this I got word through a round about source of a pup available up north of me. I was not looking for a pup but I was curious. Her picture revealed an usual similarity between her and Dusk. But the breeder told me that she was probably spoken for. I tried to put her out of my mind. Then things started to shift. A 2 week x-ray showed unexpected improvement in Dusk's mass. He actually seemed to be feeling better. On the heels of that I got word the pup was available and she could be mine. I was surprised by the wave of emotion that hit me with this news. I had decided logically I could live without her BUT somehow she had wiggled into my heart. I knew she was my family. I was pretty sure Darrin would have me committed somewhere when I broke the news I was looking at a pup. Not just any pup either this one was not a rescue...my first non-rescue ever. She has a performance pedigree. Bred to be versatile and willing to work with her owner. Much to my amazement Darrin gave me the nod and a few days later we were on our way north to meet her. It took a couple of days to decide on her name but of course it was the first one I thought of, Tilly. She is smart as a whip and bold as she can be. Today I took her up to herd ducks for the first time. I am in a stage of exposing her to all the things we may want her to know during her life. It is not training it is simply exposure. I have not gotten many of my dogs as pups so this is has been really fun to watch her learn and see her enthusiasm for life...that enthusiasm is contagious. I feel like someone turned the light back on in my world. Today would have been Izzy's 16th birthday...and although there will never be a dog like Izzy for me. I can find love in new ways and it is satisfying in a new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment