Monday, July 11, 2011





When I got my very first greyhound almost a million years ago. I knew exactly what I wanted...a small brindle female. What I ended up with was a PERFECT big fawn boy. Sometimes what you think you want isn't at all the dog who needs you or the dog who fits your needs. I don't mean to sound glib when I say when an adopter tells me they want a certain color or gender I rarely listen. My quest is to find the dog that really matches them. If they then veto the perfect match....well then that's their problem. I mean honestly if you have a super busy noisy home and the dog you pick the dog who is the color and gender you want BUT that dog is shy and is easily spooked well sorry its not a match made in heaven. When things fall apart in a home it never is because the greyhound is fawn and not brindle. It is because the personalities didn't mesh. You can learn to love a dog of the wrong color if it is perfect in other ways. Its hard to fall in love if you are trying to sleep and your high energy greyhound is bouncing off the walls or destroying the couch...again. What brought this to mind was Bek is working with a first time greyhound home. Their requirement list was pretty short....but it included the phrase "no brindle". Well long story short the dog who caught their eye and is headed to their home right now is Irish Song a sweet and lovely brindle girl. Congrats to them and to Song the most recent wrong colored adoption.

No comments:

Post a Comment