Monday, October 22, 2007

Brace yourselves greyhound friends we have incoming this weekend!!! Are you prepared to foster, bathe or even adopt? We have some super nice dogs coming in and this is the last big load coming this year. As most of you have heard the Wichita track closed and in doing so many dogs who were on the verge of retiring or whose owners decided not to move them to other tracks were left homeless. We have been able to find spots for several but there are still more waiting and our foster homes are over extended so if you are thinking of fostering and helping some nice greyhound get a jump start into pet life please call PDQ....if we can find foster space we can get more dogs safe. I do a lot of fostering and for the most part it is really fun. It can last anywhere from a couple of weeks to months but our favorite people flunk fostering. Some foster dogs are EASY and others are a little more work. But all are worth it!! Check out the web page "available hounds" to see who is coming. We have not yet received an estimate for arrival in Missoula. But I will post it here. We will be doing a bathing party so stay tuned.

Judy brought Arlo over to see his brother, Turbo, last night we took some photos. I will post later this eve.

2 comments:

  1. Joni I just read your post about Tigger's barking. We adopted an 11 year old broodie, Miz Snow White, last spring. She is a total sugar baby, but she wasn't here more than a few days when I realized she BARKS all the time. Midnight? She just wants some hugs and lovies. 1:00 am? Oh, she stood up and now needs her blankie put back on. 3:00 am? She's bored.4:00 am? How about a cookie? 5:00 am, Blankie, again. 6:00 am, Leave her alone, she's sleeping. 6:05 am, She's gotta go poddy......... In other words, Snowy barked for every reason, as well as for no reason, in the highest pitched, most demanding bark I've ever heard.

    I've had a lot of broodies, but this stuff was a new one on me. I thought maybe she was senile? After doing some checking around I found out it's most likely just a boredom bark she developed in the kennel. I read up and, armed with patience and persistence, I tried every suggestion I could find, for months and months. Ignoring or isolating, then rewarding when she stopped. Begging, pleading, reasoning, even bribing. I , Nothing. Bark, bark, bark. Bark, bark, bark, BARK. I got worn down to the point of crying from exhaustion, and then one night, desperate for sleep and crazed from sleep deprivation, I roared down the stairs, waving my arms like a mad woman, shrieking, "SHUT UP! SHUT UP!" I felt horrible immediately, as she ran from the room, tail tucked way up between her old legs. Oh, how could I have done that to her? It was contrary to all the advice I'd gotten,and everything I believe about training. But you know what? It worked! She still barks occasionally, but not nearly as often, and not even daily anymore.

    Thank doG! We're were crazy about this little old gal, but beside ourselves with the barking. Now she's 100% the sweetest, most loving little girl we've ever had in our home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I'm NOT recommending or advocating this as a training method! Just wanted to share my experience with you. You hopefully will find some better way of effectively getting Tigger to KNOCK IT OFF!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete