Monday, September 8, 2008

Skipper will become known by her race name which is Jill. Reports are that she is settling in. Skipper had a hard time on her transition from farm to adoption kennel. We are happy to report her transition from adoption kennel to forever home was much smoother. Her new momma has glowing things to say about Skipper. She is fitting right in and figuring out home life.
.
This past week end I was busy at a lure course event with my sight hound girls. The girls had a BLAST chasing the bunny. It started Friday eve and continued on Saturday and Sunday. I ran Iris, Tava and the whippet Katy Did. They must run a course solo and prove they have desire and the ability to chase. This is no problem for our greyhounds. They have to prove this at two separate Junior Courser tests to earn the title of Junior Course from the American Kennel Club. My 3 girls ran Friday and again on Saturday AM and earned their JC titles. Later Saturday there is a Open Trial where dogs who have already won their JCs can compete to earn points and or legs towards higher titles. The big difference is that they run against other dogs of the same breed. Tava seemed slightly off after her run. She was a little sore in her shoulder. It was slight....I saw it immediately but I know how Tava moves. Other people had to really watch for it. Of course I scratched her from the rest of the week end. She seems completely recovered today. Iris and Katy went on to earn two legs towards the 4 needed for the next title, Senior Courser. On Sunday when my girls weren't running I got to act as Hunt Master. I was in charge of releasing the dogs and making sure they were safe while they were on the field. That was really fun. If anyone is interested in trying coursing they occasionally do practice runs in Missoula and welcome new folks. Of course you know our hounds love to run but they also have to be fit to run. The part I love about coursing is watching the different hunting and running styles of the dogs. Greyhounds and whippets are the speed demons. While other hounds hunt by planning ambushes. I watched one Ibiazan hound leaping skyward to watch the lure then try to outsmart it. She guessed wrong and ran out to cut it off by going right....the lure went left...and she was left out in the weeds alone. She made the best of it and had a merry romp.

No comments:

Post a Comment