Friday, June 25, 2010

I lost my Aussie Sage Monday June, 13. Since she was diagnosed with bone cancer two weeks prior I watched her like a hawk for any changes. Saturday I saw her dip but then she rallied. Sunday she was trotting and wagging her bob tail. Even though she was acting better my heart sunk with the knowledge that the sun was setting on my friend. As Monday wore on her face told me she was tired of the fight. She wouldn't eat even the best foods, her trot and tail wag were gone but she felt good enough to wade in her pool. Over all she enjoyed her time that day in the paddock sleeping on a big bed in the shade with frequent visits from me and some of her favorite pack-mates. Darrin came home early from work and we took her to the vet together. From the moment I carried her into the vet until the moment I carried her out was less than 5 minutes. She was gone from us so quickly. Often I think dogs leave this world in the way they lived in it. Sage always was quick to do everything.
-
Sage came into my life before she was born. Her mother was at the shelter ready to whelp. I knew if those pups had any chance at all they needed to be born somewhere else. I brought her home and soon Lucy Blue had 5 little ones. I called them "The Greens" the girls were Sage, Olive and Kelly, the boys Hunter And Forrest. I used to hold Sage on my chest when she was just a little handful of a pup. I could feel her heart beating against mine and I knew she was my girl. From a very young age Sage had that look of intelligence. She is pictured here at a little over 3 weeks and already seemed to know who she was. The name Sage fit her perfectly as she had that old soul wisdom. Life with Sage was wonderful and easy. Sage liked everyone and she was smart, willing and easy to train. Sage always wanted to be the best girl. She liked to hug, her crate was on the second level and when I opened the door she would wait until I came up to the crate then she would softly put her paws on my shoulders and press herself into me. I would snuggle my nose into her soft ears and breathe in her essence. This may be what I miss the most. Although Sage learned everything easily she hated going to shows. She earned some titles but she never climbed the ladder to the upper levels. This was fine by me, Sage had other important duties here at home. I could always count on Sage to help me teach obedience classes. She not only was the perfect demo dog but she would work for other people. Being a lesson dog was invaluable. Many of my students over the years have spent time learning some finer points of handling with Sage. Although not typical Aussie, I was in love with Sage's angular face and hard body. I loved running my hands over her well muscled form. If you saw her run, her gait smooth, low, ground covering and easy, you knew you were seeing perfect form. Sage's lo0k was a balance of wild exotic and complete no frills utility. Sage's heart was a balance of intense loyalty and sweetness.
-
As many times as I have lost dogs each experience is as different as the dogs I have let go. When Sage died the vet started to tell me he was "sorry" I said "Don't be sorry...she had a great life. She knew every moment she was wanted and loved. She never was afraid or hungry." I am so thankful for the lessons I learned with Sage. In Sage's passing there was a strange peace...peace in knowing I had given Sage happiness and she had given the same...peace in knowing I let her go when she asked...peace in knowing she will be waiting for me and once again will offer me that soul fulfilling hug. Until that day, rest well sweet Sage you are deeply missed.
-
I love you little Sagey

No comments:

Post a Comment