Thursday, March 5, 2009

"Come on Iris" I say to her highness as she lays snuggled in her bed this morning. Everyone has been up for two hours and the chores are all done. Time to make Iris go outside and yet she plays dead. "Come on Iris, I saw your ears move I know you hear me." She continues to ignore me. I approach her bed which causes her to roll over and wiggle deeper into her bed. I understand where she is coming from. This morning is threatening snow and the temp has dropped. I pull the blanket off her head and despite her sweet smile I take her by the collar and pull her up. S-l-o-w-l-y she gets up and stretches. She is hoping I will forget what I am doing and let her lay...fat chance. Finally she stands and starts to move towards the door. I let go of her collar and trust her to make the rest of the trip. Nearly to the door she takes a hard turn and leaps onto my unmade bed where she immediately melts into a puddle of warm and sleepy hound. She smiles at me and snuggles into my pillows. OK I give up. Accepting her invitation I leap into bed after her and melt into an adjoining puddle of laziness. It only lasts 5 minutes or so. Snuggled face to face then spooning with her head draped across my neck. I absorb her warmth, her smell, her adoration. Those 5 minutes have made my day. I will be warmer all day knowing a hound awaits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment