Sunday, March 29, 2009

What a day!!! I am so dang tired I can't even swear...those of you who know me know very well never thought you would see the day. The morning started with a crummy breakfast at the motel. You know rejected day old rolls and weird OJ that never came from fruit. The day got drastically better and better from there. We started at the San Tan Farm with kennel manager Jim. We got what Jim called the "nickle tour". This is where the farm pups are born and raised until they are 6-7 months when they then move to the training farm in OK. After we met the resident labadors we met a pup under a week old. A singleton still in the potato stage of being a pup, eyes shut tight and ears fat little flaps. We beamed while first time mom, who looked a bit like my Tava basked in the warmth of the heat lamp. Next we met pups who were just weaned at about 8 weeks of age. Judy scooped up one little brindle girl who just melted into her. Carol had two or three clamoring for her attention and I had the undivided attention of a rascal Jim called Scarface. Mom had disciplined him before he was even weaned causing a small owie on the side of his face. Judging for the way he was yanking at my shoelaces I am sure he needed a little direction. Mom (San Tan Deciple) was a few doors down enjoying her newly recovered single life . We met several batches of pups in the 5-7 month ranges including a funny little guy who seemed not to be the brightest bulb which was affectionately named Forrest Gump...littermates Bubba and Jenny. I fell for one they had named Floyd. A dark brindle long legged beauty. In one pen I was turning to leave when a little black brat boy made a leap for my pony tail and I got a hard yank backwards. Judy of course thought this was hysterical. One of the farm stud dogs was home, San Tan Fang. I am anxious to check out his pedigree soon. We swung by the training track but all training had been canceled due to the recent snow. We were assured that training would resume tomorrow at 4:30 AM. Next we went to the Riggin's farm, home of all the Iruska dogs. At this farm the brood girls come to relax without pups and between adoption or further motherhood duties. The girls enjoy large indoor runs all with connected outdoor runs. This farm was well designed and well thought out. Owners Marena and Bob were so welcoming and answered our many questions. We met Sydney who is a pretty tall red girl who is available for adoption NOW. She is adorable with her extra lean face and soft doe eyes. I think we did well keeping our hearts in check here...well except Carol who fell hard for a smiling little red brindle named Fancy. She isn't ready for adoption right now but Carol made it clear when she was a available she would have a warm soft bed in Montana.
The afternoon was spent at the Greyhound Hall of Fame. Some of you may have read in the recent Celebrating Greyhounds about the greeter dogs, Talentedmrripley and Jade. In the article we learn of an addiction Ripley has for Twinkies. Before we went to the Hall of Fame I ran into the nearest 7-11 and bought the 3 packages of twinkies that had. When we walked in with them the host laughed out loud. I got permission to share a twinkie with Ripley which earned me his adoration. Much to the astonishment of the host he jumped up on me and placed his feet on my shoulders. She scolded him and Ripley hopped down but Ripley knew I loved it and soon he jumped back up to look me in the eye. Later after we toured the whole museum and were spending every spare penny in the gift shop she said she had never seen Ripley jump up on anyone but his owners. She was a little horrified by his actions and I was honored. Jade raced under the name of San Tan Go For It. She is a little white and black imp with a well developed sense of humor. She was always trying to steal toys from prince Ripley's throne. The rest of the daylight hours we spent driving around and rubber necking. There are greyhound farms everywhere and we got good at spotting turn out pens from a distance. We drove by several famous farms including Flying Eagles and Ryan Farms home of Molotov. As evening was setting in we turned on our GPS and headed to Wichita. We are hoping to visit the Nitro Kennel in the morning but the snow knocked down their power lines and have flooded part of their kennel and some of the roads to them. I am hoping the power will be back on and we can visit I brought Tava's first lure course ribbon (Best of Breed) to give to them. Well Judy and Carol have sacked out and I need to do the same. This trip has been incredible so far....and it is going so fast. I have been taking pictures but didn't bring my cord to upload them. Darrin told me what I need to buy to do it so I will try to find one tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment