Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I have started this post a number of times... While we were away we got word that one of my own pack passed away. Our sweet little Tabu. She had a normal day on Tuesday, ate a good dinner and snuggled in for a nap and never woke up. Although I am grateful for her peaceful passing it was so unexpected that the shock has been difficult. Tabu never had a sick day in her life and at 12 years and 1 month was as vibrant and active as most 3 year old dogs. She could still jump up on my grooming table. I showed her this past year and we earned another obedience title. Our last show was Sept. in Helena. She was the only one of my dogs who was unfazed by me using the scooter I needed for my bum leg. Tabu never let me down. I showed her 4 times this past year and we always took home a ribbon. With so many dogs you would think one more or less would not be as big of a deal but the pack seems much smaller now.

Tabu came to us when she was about 8 months old. She and her sister had been dumped on a back road in Oregon. I had been longing for a red merle female and suddenly there she was...a blessing. I learned many things while working with Tabu. She had no confidence and would roll over at the least pressure on the leash. I had to revamp my training and teach her to heel completely off lead. My mantra was for her tail to wag as if it propelled her. This was more than just a learned behavior it was a gauge to make sure my training was right for her. Soon Tabu was strutting and her attitude joyful. Over the years I competed often with her, obtaining many titles. We never left the ring without the judge commenting on her happy tail wag. Tabu did upper level obedience and when we got bored we dabbled in agility and tracking although we never competed in those venues. We did weight pull together. I mainly started pulling with her because I was doing it with my Aussie boy Dusk. It took Tabu a while to gain confidence. Her first two competitions were barely enough to earn the legs needed to get her title. I had decided after her third pull I would retire her. Then all the sudden the light bulb went on and that day she started to enjoy herself. What was to be her retirement pull was the beginning of her fun. She easily pulled 840 pounds that day. Sept. 2004 on her very last pull to earn her Championship I let her pull all she wanted. She had her all time best pull at 1040 pounds. I unharnessed her in the pulling chute to indicate the end her career. All of these accomplishments pale in comparison to what she was to us. Tabu was the easiest and sweetest dog a favorite with everyone who met her. I could always count on her to help me with teaching dog classes. Tabu loved to do things and made friends easily. I have bragged on Tabu many times. Tabu's life was a victory for the unloved and unwanted. She started as an underdog and became one of the best and brightest. I am so proud of her. I admire her spirit. I loved watching her grow....I loved being a part of it....I loved HER. Now her crate sits empty, her bowl unfilled, her leash hangs useless on the wall. On my watch we added a small heart charm made of Australian opal, a reminder of the blue and sparkle of Tabu's eyes. I selfishly want her back, to caress her soft coat and to hear her welcoming bark. We were so blessed to have her in our lives...it is so hard to know that chapter is finished...but there is hope in knowing the book is still open.

Rest well my beloved little friend. You were everything you could be and so much more than ever was expected. We will forever miss you.....Thank you, Tabbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment