Saturday, October 10, 2009

Two weeks before the next dogs arrive from OK. With them will be Nitro Tiny Tim. I can't wait to meet him. We don't know yet what time they will arrive but expect it will be during the day on Saturday Oct. 24. Let Carol or I know if you want to be advised so you can come meet the bus and the new dogs.

I had a woman call me yesterday who was referred to me by the Animal Control. The woman was frantic about the behavior of her dog. The woman was speaking so fast and furious I barely could get a word in edgewise. She was obviously in distress. The dog is a 2 year old male springer and is having problems with both fear followed by bouts of hysteria exhibited by barking and lunging at dogs or strangers. She said she could not figure out the triggers. They have tried a gambit of things from putting him on meds, neutering him and taking him out to public places all to no avail. Finally this last week the dog lunged at a visiting family member leaving a scratch on her mother's face. They could not decide if the scratch was toenail or teeth caused but either way it spurred them into action. I told her I charge $50 for a one time consultation and offer discounts for a series of classes. She said she would discuss it with her husband and call me back. Soon she called back and said they decided not to spend any more money on the dog. I asked so what now? her response was "One way or another we are getting rid of this dog." Her options were to put the dog down or take it to the shelter but she was open to other options. From the description of the dog and behavior it sounded like a dog who simply has lost his way and I really felt like I could help him. I was a little surprised to learn they were on the verge of making a date with a syringe full of blue juice for this dog. This dog had sparked a bit of interest in me. What his owners see as a nightmare I see as a interesting puzzle...a chance to learn and maybe help this pup. So I did the only thing I could do I offered to waive my fees and agreed to evaluate the dog. I told her I would be very frank and if I thought the dog needed to keep his date with the vet I would tell her. I am not a bleeding heart there are dogs that for whatever reason are too dangerous to be in society. If the body is sick and is not going to recover people see immediately the dog needs to be released. I believe if the mind is sick beyond repair the same rules apply. It isn't enough to give them life if there is no quality to it. Sunday morning she is bringing him out. I know she is hoping she can bail out and dump the dog on me and RUN. Who knows I might even allow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment