Sunday, February 18, 2007

This week has flown by. Baghira is now really settled in and doing well. She is such a happy girl. Chopin is asking for more attention. He often is bumping my hand to get some loving. Waldo had to go back to boot camp this week. He decided he would try growling at the other dogs at dinner time. Sargent Joni helped him see the light and he is now being rewarded for waiting his turn. Funny how pups will try stuff just to see if they can. Today is really damp and verging on cold. The dogs will only go out for a short romp.

I got word from Lance's home. Here is a quote from her note...

"HE LOVES THE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He and I run and run and run, then I stop and watch him RUN AND RUN AND RUN in the snow. He is just super fast on three legs.
We are going on a trip tomorrow to see my sister! She has a half Whippet half Greyhound dog they got from the pound years ago. So she is excited to see if Lance can run as fast as Trigger. They have lots of land and great fields for running.
Lance loves the car so hopefully we are great for a 20 hour car ride!!!
Again, I love Lance and He is amazing. He went with me to get my pay check today and just loved all the people and ran around. So he goes to work with me some days! How great is that.

I Have to thank you so much for the gift you have given me. I love him and I would not be complete without him. I could not imagine my life without Lance!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh Joni... I have tears in my eyes reading about Lance and his mommy. He SO deserves the love and contentment he has finally found and it shows in the joy he is bringing his mommy. Thank you so much for posting her note--it truly made my day!

    By the way, if you have tips for stopping the growling, please share. Both greys and my basset growl at night whenever another animal walks past whatever bed they are on. Is there a trick to curing this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I was so thrilled to hear Lance is so happy!!!

    The growling is something that is hard to change in a group setting. With Waldo I did a collar correction and I took his dinner away and he got a chance to try again later. He was sucessful at being mannerly at his next try which earned him praise and his dinner. I had to do this for a couple of days to make my point. Since your girls are just doing general growling about the only thing that is really effective is to let them know you are watching them and give them a verbal "Quiet!!" But don't forget to reward them when they refrain from growling. Without the reward for the desired behavior...the growling behavior will stay the same. Telling a dog what you want is more important than telling them what you don't want.

    ReplyDelete