Friday, February 2, 2007


Whew a lot going on around here and not much of it greyhound related. Darrin is away and our 6-week Korean house guest is gone. I am two days into a three day weight pull being held at our place. I am pulling only one of my dogs. Dusk my handsome Australian Shepherd boy. Today he finished up his Champion Weight Pull Dog Excellent title. Dusk is the first Montana dog to earn this title. I also found out based on points earned in 2006, he will be invited to a big invitational National All-Star Weight Pull to be held in Kalamazoo, MI. I can't imagine going but it is a honor to be invited. BTW Dusk successfully pulled 1080 pounds today....he weighs 47 pounds.

One of the gals at the weight pull offered to do a Canine Good Citizen Test. It was a rare opportunity for me to have my own dogs tested so I jumped at the chance. Usually I am the evaluator at these tests. Most of my dogs have CGCs but all were done years ago. I tested all of my dogs except the new kid Tava, I even tested my Aussie foster girl. Everyone passed. I received some nice remarks about my dogs obedience skills. The Evaluator joked that maybe it was too easy for my dogs. Many of my pack have obedience titles of some kind or are in training. The most touching moments were when I decided to try the test with Tigger, my dear 14 year old greyhound girl. I really didn't expect anything from her but I knew she would like a few minutes in the lime light. Her sit and down were a bit slow and shaky but she passed the other skills nicely. The evaluator gave her a passing score and said although she was rusty, Tigger was very willing and showed a desire to please me, which in her opinion was more important. I was very proud of Tigger. About 3 PM I finally came in for some lunch, left over stew shared with my good friend Sally Z. and a small scoop for Dusk.

Waldo did get to go on an adventure today. Irene and Amber picked him up on their way into Missoula and dropped him off with Judy. Waldo accompanied Judy on the "Greyhound Walking Club" walk. She reported that he was really good and she was pleased at how nicely he settled down in the house. Once she told him what she wanted, Waldo was happy to hop up on the couch and snuggle in for some movie watching. Waldo was passed out in the back seat when Irene and Amber dropped him off. He didn't even raise up when the car stopped. He had a big day!! Waldo at under a year old is often labeled a puppy...which often translated to "headache". But Waldo is proving to be a nice combination of silly, sweet and easy going. To top it off he is cute as hell :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment