Thursday, August 30, 2007

If you think greyhounds are the spice of life then whippets are the Tabasco sauce. Case and point...

The other night I am up getting my dose of Sex and the City reruns. My husband and greyhounds are in bed asleep. Izzy my queen Aussie and Katy Did the whippet are relaxing in the mud room. I heard some movement back there but nothing too interesting. Then in a quiet moment between commercials I hear "slap slap" It wasn't loud but it was odd. I got up and scootered (still nursing the tendon) across the kitchen as I am about to round the corner I say "Katy leave it!" Living with a whippet will make you suspicious like that. Katy runs up to the gate really happy and bright eyed which puts me on high alert. I round the corner and everything looks OK but then I notice something white on the floor....then it moves. I shriek,"Katy get back!!" My husband is woke from his slumber and is almost instantly at my side and I tell him to get the dogs in the other room. In his sleep induced haze he starts to herd the dogs into the other room. Leaving my scooter in the dust, I hobble over as fast as I can to look at my poor Pacu fish laying on the carpet. I am not sure what to do since he is big and has teeth, he kind of scares me. Finally I see a plastic bag which I use to scoop him up and put him back in the tank....dog hair and all. That dang whippet took the feeding lid off the tank and managed to fish Chief Cabrone out of his tank. It was only a 4 inch opening but she managed to get this 10 inch fish out with out spilling a drop of water and only her muzzle was damp. Thankfully her sushi snack survived. He is back in his tank wary, scratched and with a little fin damage but otherwise OK. The following day she stole a small bag of bird seed which she shared with everyone. The result was soft stools for everyone. This week "Whippet" is spoken with the edges of a swear word!!
I should mention to Katy that the Pacu is a cousin to the piranha. The pacu is a vegetarian but we will leave that part of the story out.

No comments:

Post a Comment