Saturday, August 4, 2007

Two weeks have flown by. I had surgery to fix my ruptured Achilles on July 26th. What started as a out patient ended up being a over night and most the next day stay in the hospital. I was very woozie coming out of anesthesia....too woozie to go home. So they found me a room right by the orthopedics nurses station and loaded me up with antibiotics and pain killers. I was wheeled out of there more than 24 hours after surgery. I am smart enough to know being in the hospital the first 24 hours is a real blessing as that is sometimes the hardest part. It is now 10 days, 1 Dr visit and two casts later and I off all of the big pain killers that have kept me in a fog. Although I am still really limited I am at least clear headed enough to be bossy :>)

A couple of days after surgery was the infamous greyhound picnic and auction. I insisted I at least be wheeled out for the auction!! I scored a couple of excellent buys and some of Kathy B.'s incredible red pepper jelly. Reports are that we made some good $$$$ for the pups. I am already looking forward to the picnic next year!

Today was an excellent day here at the kennel. Started by my cousin Paula calling me and giving me a update on her "Wonderful Perfect Boys" or as we know them Timber and Scratchy. She adores them and called to tell me they have relaxed enough to start to play with toys. Just as I was getting off the phone Judy arrived with Dottie to bathe her and get ready to send her home. A bonus was she brought all of the foster dogs over so I got to see Kissy, Clarissa and Oxygen again too. As bathing was wrapping up Joe and Linda arrived to meet Dottie and give her a new name. She is now "Azure Sky Tritchler". This big eyed shy little grey-girl was almost instantly smitten with her new dad and pined when he had to go out to the car for just a second. Azi (Dottie) seemed to know this was HER family. It was great to see Azi head home and to meet Joe and Linda but for me the icing on the cake was seeing Bella Diesel and Chopin again. Bella was social and wonderful as ever. She has a way of strutting around and preening...that girl knows she has the look. I got a rare chance to have a heart to heart with Pannie-my foster grey-boy. When he came here early this year he was so heartbroken...his former family really loved him and it was hard on everyone to let go. Pannie spent many evenings with his head pressed against my chest while I assured him that there would be something else for him....something wonderful. Today Pannie again pressed his head against my chest and this time he assured me the promise I made came true and he again was secure and happy. It was really meaningful to have that time with him. I feel spiritually fed as a foster home. Big thanks to Paula for loving her boys and sharing them with me via phone calls and to Joe and Linda who came the extra mile to Victor to pick up their new girl and to let me see Bella and dear Pannie. Big thanks to all those homes out there who fulfill the promise we make these greyhounds; "Hang on...something wonderful is out there for you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment