Saturday, March 17, 2007

Goodie....Janelle is on her way to her new home. Rebecca did a great job on this placement. Another bit of good news...Baghira is meeting a potential adopter tomorrow afternoon. Cross you fingers and paws. Now to find forever homes for Zora, Waldo and Falcon.

Things here have been the usual uproar. This week end I am helping lay track at a tracking test. It means I have to drag my butt out of bed pretty early on the week end. But it is fun to see friends and socialize a little. It will be worth it if the dog I lay track for passes it's test. So your next question may be "What is Tracking??" Well Tracking is the dogs ability to follow a scent over a distance. This is what Search and Rescue dogs do. However we are only tracking for fun. Thankfully no lives are at stake. We are searching for "lost" items gloves, wallets, socks, etc. The track-layer and judges gather the day before the test and plan the tracks marking the exact path with flags. The track must be over 440 yards long and have at least 3 corners. The next morning the track layer goes out and walks the route pulling up all but the first 2 flags. I will drop a bandanna at the start flag and I will drop a leather glove at the end of the track for the dog to find. Tonight the bandanna and glove will sleep in my boots to absorb as much of my scent as possible. There is no artificial scent used....just the scent of the person. It really is very fascinating. A couple of my dogs have tracking titles....a couple of others are started. Tracking is great for the dogs confidence and nothing can build a relationship like tracking. You are depending on your dog in a unique way. I have not taught a greyhound to track yet....but I am sure it will happen. Sometimes dogs who you don't expect to be good are really amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment