Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Tina to Tava

Proof that even the most experienced foster home is not immune to Cupid's arrows. Today Tina's journey to her new home turned out to be short indeed. Last night I did my last turn out and was holding Tina and telling her good bye the tears started....that crying didn't end until this morning in Carol's driveway. I had Tina packed and loaded and was in the van driving to Tripps. I was feeling sick and of course crying. I called Judy and said "I don't want to do this!" She said "Well...you don't have to." I called Darrin and said "I don't want to do this!" He let out a strange noise half groan half growl and asked "Why?" I really could not fully explain. Tina is cute....but I have let cute dogs go before. Tina is sweet...but I have let sweet dogs go before. Tina likes me but again I have let dogs who like me leave before. It isn't about her acting like Iris, or looking like Tigger. It isn't even about having recently seen Lance off. I just can't explain other than the thought of letting her go made me feel heartbroken. Darrin said "Well it is up to you. We can work it out." By now I was in Tripps driveway. Carol had the cats all caught and ready for the cat test. I stepped out of the van and said "I can't do it." Carol said "Are you sure? It is really a great home." We opened the back of the van and I opened Tina's crate. Then Carol patted my arm and said "We all understand. If you feel strongly then she should be yours." At that moment I felt like a weight was lifted off me. My tears turned to a smile and Carol broke into a funny little happy dance. The only down side was I was worried about disappointing Pam and John who were ready to welcome her into their home. When I got home I called Pam, I was ready to grovel and tell them what a heel I was. Pam had already heard the news. She and John were happy for Tina and me. Pam laughed and said "We totally understand what it is like to fall in love with a greyhound! Congrats to you and Tina!"

Carol and Judy however are not the kind of girls to let a good home go to waste. After a whirlwind of phone calls. They are on their way to Kalispell to pick up Blue. A boy whose home feels like she can no longer meet the needs of a large dog. She loves Blue and didn't want him fostered which is why he never was on the available page. My fingers are crossed that this is the perfect match for Pam and John.

So Nitro Tina will shift her name to Tava Muir. And Blue....well we will have to stay tuned and see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, good news comes in spades!! Congratulations to all... shower Tava with the love that comes naturally to you, Joni, and I'll be praying my socks off that Blue, Pam, & John are the perfect combo :)

    -- jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Joni, when true loves hits you have to act on it. Congrats to all of you. Sounds like you made the right choice.

    ReplyDelete